Why should you stay active as you get older?September 30, 2022
Nutrition tips for shift workersOctober 14, 2022
When we consider looking after our health, physical health often comes to mind first, rather than our mental health. However, they are equally important. It’s easy to get pre-occupied in the business of life and forget to take time for yourself to do things you enjoy. At Altaira, we recognise the importance of having a healthy work/life balance and looking after ourselves and those around us.
Here are some tips for improving your mental health:
- Ensure you get enough sleep every night. Getting 8 hours of rest each night allows your brain and body to regenerate, recover and encourages better mood.
- Stay hydrated and eat a healthy, balanced diet. Consuming a balanced diet, ensures your body is receiving the necessary nutrients to function effectively.
- Ensure you are moving your body in some way every day. This may be going for a walk, going to the gym, dance around the room, do garden work, play with the kids etc. Regular physical exercise has been proven to create a significant positive impact on people’s mental health.
- Manage your workload and ensure you take some annual leave each year. Breaks are important to prevent burnout.
- Attempt to manage stress levels by prioritising things that make you happy. Practicing self love, taking time to relax, meditating for 15 minutes per day to refocus and destress are all examples of ways to manage stress.
- Stay connected with friends and family. Regular contact with loved ones and people you enjoy spending time with is important for mental health and to feel social connectedness.
- Visit a health professional when necessary. Sometimes it may be necessary to seek help from someone such as a psychologist, dietitian or physiotherapist to get your health journey back on track. A physiotherapist, for example, may work with you to overcome an injury to therefore allow for sufficient engagement in exercise again. Healthy body, healthy mind!
Altaira is a provider of physiotherapy services, among other allied health services, led by extremely passionate and skilled team members. Book a consult with Lead Physiotherapist Michael via: Make a Booking (nookal.com) Learn more about Altaira’s Allied Health services here: Allied Health – Altaira Services
There are abundant resources dedicated to helping those who are struggling with their mental health. Head to https://mentalhealthweek.org.au/support for more information and support.